Skip to main content

Reply to "Underclass Recruiting"

2017LHPscrewball posted:
c2019 posted:
bacdorslider posted:

One of the big mistakes is taking an attitude that D1 baseball is the pinnacle ..... I cannot stress enough, as many before me, if you want to have the best college exp. and play ball, find the schools that fit your academic and then target those for baseball......

I know its hard as a 2020 , 2019 even a 2018 to not have the dream of playing pro ball, or playing SEC ball, but  its likely not going to happen.... BUT I can tell your from exp.... that all levels of baseball are exciting and when your playing Juco or D2 and your competing , what some D1 team is doing will never enter your mind.   Playing the game, building friendships, getting an education  all vastly more important than the level.

My sons have been to PG tourney's but never a Showcase.... I would have liked to taken them , but $$ was a factor.   If you can afford a PG showcase , then it's the best money you will spend.   Remember recruiters talk all day long about players....

so if you had a choice to attend a camp  with 25+  D1 coaches(HC or RC) having interactions with your son  for 2 days , or attend a PG showcase witch would you pick if money is a factor and the price is about the same?

Very good question.  I cannot provide "the" answer, but with lots of questions, it could depend on the situation and circumstances.  A camp with 25 D1 HC or RC is probably not going to be a full slate of Power 5 teams, so there is some need to vet the coaching list - and perhaps see if there is some good fit,  Might also depend on whether you are a position player or pitcher.  If a pitcher, then PG may have the advantage if in fact you have the velocity.  Camp may win out if you have are lacking velocity, but maybe can demonstrate other attributes.  An "average" position player might get lost in the shuffle at a bid PG showcase, so the camp might have some added benefit.  These are just a few situations that come to mind that could change the answer between these two options.

lets say pitcher and catcher