Skip to main content

Reply to "Underclassman that verbally commit early"

There should be major penalties for any kind of communication either way before summer of rising junior year. So many kids entering senior year don’t know what they want for a college major. How in the hell are they supposed to know in 8th grade or freshman year? The reality is most colleges coaches don’t care about academics as much as they make you think. Their only concern about academics is players remaining eligible. 

I went through early recruiting with a softball playing daughter. Girls physically mature sooner. Recruiting starts and ends sooner. She started receiving offers the summer after freshman year. By spring of soph year a top choice pressured her. They threatened to take the offer off the table. They said they could see other prospects in the upcoming summer. So she verballed. In girls sports waiting can cost the player several options. 

She stuck with the major she knew she wanted freshman year of high school. I was surprised. I thought she watched too much CSI. I warned her it’s not as glamorous as on tv. She went to law school and became a prosecutor.

i remember a comment posted about a fifteen year old kid asked if he knows what he wants for a college major. He responded, “I’m fifteen. I haven’t even figured out what I want for lunch.”

Last edited by RJM