Skip to main content

Reply to "Undrafted free agents"

@LHP's Roady posted:

What are the pros and cons of going as an undrafted free agent this year in regards to getting to The Show? Will there be better coaching / attention in the minors due to less bodies? 

As MLB/MiLB cuts back on players it stands to reason that they will also cut back on the number of coaches.  I'd be willing to bet that the amount of attention he will get in the minors will probably not change.  If they decide to expand MiLB rosters, the attention level could actually go down. I can't see them having more than one pitching coach per team.  

As far as whether he will get better coaching in the minors, that's gonna be a crap shoot.  The traditional minor league model has been to bring in a ton of guys and let the cream rise to the top.  My son spent two years in the White Sox organization and anything resembling serious coaching was non-existent.  Granted, he has been out of the game for 6 years and SOME organizations have started revamping their pitcher "development" programs.  But, some organizations are still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to truly developing players.  In many cases, players will get better coaching in college than than they will ever get in the minor league system.   

What the scout told your son about the "clock is ticking" is a very real factor for many teams. I do not envy his dilemma.  The older a kid is, the less patient they are going to be waiting for him to develop.   But, the harder he throws, the more "patient" they are likely to be.