Skip to main content

Reply to "Unfair Advantages"

Son went to WWBA 16U and 17U, ended up at a HA D3.  So, were that team and those experiences a waste of time and money?  Sure, in a sense, but (a) we didn't know that he wouldn't end up at at D1 until he didn't, and (b) he played well against top competition, and that was fun, and he made some good friends.  If I had known then what I figured out by the time it was all over, would we have had him on that team again?  I think so, because the alternatives were less appealing.

I've said this before:  the problem is that many (including us) are told, around 15, that their son "projects to be mid-major D1."  So then, you want to do all the high-level stuff in case it happens.  For that matter, you have to decide on a summer team the preceding August, when you don't know what is going to happen with your son.  "Could be D1" is misleading.  EIther you are D1 (FB 90, 60 sub-7.0, pop sub 2.0), or you are not.  If you are, then you are one of those kids at 15U WWBA who are committed.  If you are not, then D1s are not interested, until you hit those numbers.  And there are plenty of kids who do hit those numbers earlier, whether it's because they were held back a grade, or they just physically did it sooner.