Skip to main content

Reply to "Partially Funded/Non-funded D1 programs"

I think that the community service is still illegal according to NIL.  NIL clearly states that you must get paid to use your Name, Image or Likeness which was that if someone used your Name, Image or Likeness in any form you got paid.  It mainly was intended so that someone else could not make money off of your NIL.  Now it is just show up and play and we will pay you.  Many of the football and basketball ones actually have clauses that you will get paid only when you do certain things in your play.  Such as make the playoffs, win conference, play for a NC, score so many touchdowns or points and such.  That is illegal according to the wording of the NCAA NIL but who is going to force it.  Once the toothpaste is out of the tube is no putting it back.  I think all of the collaboratives should be illegal but they will not.  The problem still is a very small % will make 90% of the money.  I think it did fix some things because I've always thought that it was weird that a kid could not do lessons during the off season or do a camp and make money or the school could put his number and name on a jersey and he not get paid a penny for it.  But also you must realize that reality is most of these guys are that you think are making money are getting very little of it.  They all have agents that are charging crazy money.  Son's shirt deals through the school pay him $2.40 per shirt that is sold with his name, image or likeness.  They are selling them for $28.  The school did the deal so he does not have a say in it.

BTW, anotherparent, we are looking for a hair deal or mustache deal.    Somebody is missing out because he gets a lot of air time.

I'm all for the community service stuff and push my son to do one thing a week this summer that fits into community service.  He is throwing out the first pitch at LL state tournament next week, spoke at a youth group last week, and so on.  We have one a week scheduled for most weeks of the summer.  Giving back.  I know not everyone will but I believe God gives you a platform to make a difference.