Skip to main content

Reply to "University of Chicago"

Are there any universities, of any sort, that don't require students who miss class (for whatever reason) to make up the work?

Sure, I can't imagine a case where students don't have to make up the work, but there are differences in who defines this and how it's done.

Some colleges have blanket policies on how much leeway can be given to athletes on make up exams, assignments, projects. For example - one department might say students have the entire semester to turn in any uncompleted work, while another might impose, say, a 4-week post-due deadline.

But most universities allow individual professors to set post-due deadlines. So the make-up window essentially becomes a negotiation between student and prof. Sometimes professors elect not to provide accommodation for athletics or travel for whatever reason, effectively requiring students to turn in assignments or take tests early.

Some teams have an academic liaison who travels with them. This person(s), often a trainer, asst coach, or other staff, is authorized by the school (NCAA has some rules here I think) to monitor the students during remote instruction, to tutor them, and to proctor their exams. This is the most accommodating.

Things get sticky when an athlete has a high workload and a major that requires specialized knowledge (more likely at a CalTech or Chicago). In this case, the on-the-road liaison (if there is one) is highly unlikely to have the knowledge or skills to help out, while the athlete is in a traveling, practicing, playing environment that is ill-suited to serious study. Professorial accommodation in these cases is key. And it is my understanding, given the rigor at UChicago, that some profs are less than accommodating. My guess is that this is driven mostly by a lack of understanding, rather than malice.*

(*Not gonna lie though, I've heard reports specifically at Chicago that some profs are outright hostile towards sports.)

Last edited by SpeedDemon