Skip to main content

Reply to "Unofficial visit protocol?"

Hey Chico, your son is a year behind mine and we were in a similar situation this time last  year, in the months following, and on into this year. Various visits to top- and next-tier HA D3s and it was a mixed bag when it came to dealing with coaches. We were very much up-front with questions along these lines so there would be no confusion as to when the parents were expected vs. our son alone. In a couple of cases, the coaches actually did the campus tour and, in most, there came a time when we would turn our son loose to go with them to hang around during practice, work-outs, scrimmage, indoor hitting, etc. (this time of year you probably won't have this option). Many also included lunch with the team, where parents were invited but hung out at a different table, with the exception of two schools where everyone was together. Heck in one lunch case we had the head of the department in our son's desired field of study, AND the coaches, AND some team members, and our son got to basically grill them all. It was very cool and I'm guessing part of the beauty of the small school experience. One visit last fall the baseball coaches provided tickets to a weekend football game and that was fun to see what a home game experience is like at a small D3. Definitely different than going to an SEC event but there was a lot of support at this particular school and it was a good time. In all cases, the "coach behind the desk" meeting included all of us but that was just our experience. Had I not been 100% sure we were invited, I would have sent him in alone. Many of these visits were a LONG way from home for us, and at expensive institutions, so I didn't really feel like I couldn't be a part of whatever I wanted but I was very careful to ask questions that only pertained to our (the parents) parts of the process. Best of luck and keep us posted!