Skip to main content

Reply to "Unsigned Draft Picks and Problems with the Draft"

@old_school posted:

He wound up slipping to the Red Sox at No. 12 overall, however, thanks in large to signability and makeup concerns.

Not only were there character questions surrounding Groome, who had been suspended for what was deemed an improper transfer and who had changed his commitment from Vanderbilt to Chipola College.

I really hate the media. I'm not sure what's worse, publicly writing about a topic they know very little about or having a great deal of talent and knowledge and grossly exaggerating/reporting inaccurately.

He was suspended due to a transfer, same way every other transfer has to sit out for a month to start the season, he did too. His commitment change was solely for draft leverage. If he wasn't going to be a top 15 pick, he wasn't going to waste 3 years at Vanderbilt when he would be a top 10 pick the following year out of Chipola.

It's written properly, but it's done to discredit him. If there were makeup concerns for him out of high school, they existed for reasons other than this. Citing these reasons as makeup issues is just inaccurate.

That being said, I can't remember an injured first round non signee working out recently. So my issue isn't with the Mets not signing 10, it has more to do with them drafting him in the first place.