Skip to main content

Reply to "Unsolicited Emails To Coaches"

Yes.  My son received multiple D1 offers that originated from unsolicited emails he sent to coaches.  We live in Southern California, my son wanted to go to a high-academic school on the east coast, so he had no choice but to proactively reach out to coaches.  He played for a very strong national travel program that played in PG and other tournaments in GA, FL, AZ as well as California.  His travel coach was very well connected to P5 and other top west coast schools but less so with Ivy's or other HA schools back east.  It was up to my son to figure out how to get these coaches to see him play.  He would send out regular updates, tournament schedules and videos.  He had strong measureables, lots of good video, and he played in the "right" tournaments so this helped.  Some of the coaches responded, others called him up, others never responded.  The coaches that made offers saw him play multiple times over a period of months.

I asked one of the coaches who offered how he came across my son.  He said from my son's email video.  He added that with his limited travel budget there's no way he can go everywhere he'd like to go, so getting email videos is a huge help in him finding needles in the haystacks.