Skip to main content

Reply to "Unsolicited Emails To Coaches"

We were probably overkill but it worked in the best of the best, IMO.  We sent over 30 emails to P5 SEC, ACC, and B12 each Monday during high school and tournament season from summer before 9th grade year until he committed right before junior year.  The emails included link to his website which I built for free, his stats and updates from last week and schedule for coming week including when he was pitching and where.  We would also try to specialize it each week for each school which was a pain but well worth it.  He got responses and questions almost every week from someone asking about schedule, compeition, or generic questions.  We had multiple P5 coaches who came to watch him and make offers that as far as we know the emails were first contact.  He may have been on their list but had not contacted until after email.  It was vital since he wanted to play in SEC/ACC and we lived in midwest.  We only stopped sending them to schools when they were removed by us as an option.  As we got to know some staffs or situations we removed some from the list.  it was a lot of work but getting what you want is always a lot of work. 

I was his HS coach for 9-10 grade year and it was amazing how many calls I got from coaches and most of them not putting it together until I told them that he was my son.  One in particular that we developed a great relationship with asked his strengths and weaknesses.  Then asked one moment in his time under me that he showed what it meant to be more than a baseball player.  After I answered those questions honestly and he found out I was his father he responded I want to meet you and shake your hand one day.  Most dads would have never been that honest and vulnerable about their kid.  We met at a tournament 2 weeks later and ate lunch together while he watched another player pitch.  He even asked me what I thought about the kid.  My son contacted every team that had made him an offer and a few that had shown a lot of interest but never made an offer to tell them he was going to UT.  It was interesting that only 2 of the 20 plus teams were upset.  Most of them thanked him for his courtesy and wished him well.  Several of them stopped him at tournaments and congratulated him.  One even contacted him a few weeks ago about a kid that plays on his 14U team that he is coaching since he did not get to play a lot this summer.  Small world.