Skip to main content

Reply to "Unsolicited Emails To Coaches"

Email played a pretty big role in my 2020's recruitment.  He sent TONS of emails at the end of his junior year and especially that following summer (I'd say 15-30 before each weekend tournament).  His summer team put him on a platform that tracked profile views, video views, and allowed for easy emails/messaging to and from coaches.  He would regularly get views, but nothing too major.  His coaches had contacted schools here and there, but it had not generated an offer.

How it happened- he sent an email (only one) to a P5 school as a shot in the dark- he saw they viewed several videos but no messages.  That coaching staff leaves and scatters.  One of those coaches takes a job and asks another one of that original school's coaches that had left for another school if he knew anyone in this area bc he didn't have a lot of contacts- and he says he saw my kid's video a couple of weeks ago and he'd be worth a look.  At almost that exact time, my son sent another wave of emails to this new school bc he was playing a tournament in that area.  The coach at this new school immediately picked up the phone and called my son and watched him that weekend and offered him the following week.  

I don't think that's a typical situation- he had  good measurements (97 exit and 91 positional velo) but that didn't generate interest on its own.  The combination of the email and seeing him in person was big...but when we went on the visit, the coach quoted those numbers from PBR- so they were important to him.  But we had no one reach out bc they saw those numbers.  

Honestly- I'm still shocked how it all happened.  So strange and I'm not sure how I'd even advise someone other than to turn over every rock you can.  Why not send the emails?  Why not get some verified numbers at a PBR/Perfect Game? If you have something to advertise, don't bury the lede- put it in the subject line and see what happens.