Skip to main content

Reply to "Up-tempo Practice Ideas"

We do an infield drill called 2-1-2-1.

It is a way to get lot of ground balls and double plays pretty quickly. Basically you start with your 3B and his number is 2. This means he turns a double play. The SS is 1. He fields the ball and throws to first. 2b is 2, double play. 1B is one and he works on a flip to another 1B like a PFP. Now you go back to 3B and he is a 1 now (If you have multiple players at positions you can keep it like the original until they all have gone). I'm sure you get the point. Everyone turns DP's and throws to first.

The kicker is we put a number on it they have to get in a row. We may say 21 in a row or whatever for that day. They must be perfect. Any bobble or bad throw starts over and adds a consequence (whatever you want).

You can also tweak it how you want. I have done it with a stopwatch to make sure we get the proper "motivation" to be quick and clean. I've also put pitchers on the mound for the flip and 3-6-1 DP (PFP).

The kids love it. It challenges them and puts pressure on them to execute. No one wants to be the guy to bobble on our #19. Thy WANT to be perfect the first time. Never had it happen, but that is our goal. On a good day we can get it done if 15 minutes or so. On a bad day, well I get upset and we move on. Smile
Last edited by bp_27