Skip to main content

Reply to "Up-tempo Practice Ideas"

ironhorse I like it!

I've modified it some was well, but think I like your idea better.

What I've done is adjusted it and called it pressure BP. I've combined the 4-man scrimmage and the validation BP into one I guess. One thing I've learned is that we don't function well under pressure. So when they are successful on a particular situation I will make them validate ALL of them with a sacrifice.

Say we are working get 'em over / get 'em in. They must execute it 3 times (or whatever you want). However many they get, at the end of the round they must validate all of them (1, 2 or 3 depending on how they did). It puts a lot of pressure on them to be successful on the bunt. If they get the bunt down their group gets those points. If they don't, they lose all of them (it has happened more than once that a team loses 3 because of the bunt).

It has been amazing how much more they concentrate on that sacrifice when it means points for their team! They continue until they get the 3 they need for that situation. The next time up, they only get the number of chances they need for that situation. If they get 2 the first time, they only have 1 chance the execute the next time.

This goes on for X minutes. I have a preset number of situations they must get. So lets say there are 4 in a group and they hit for 10 minutes. They will have to go through Hit 'n Run, Get 'em overs, Runner on 3rd (or whatever I want to work on that day). Once each player gets the 3 they move to the next. Only the player that is successful advances. I've had it happen where 1 player is on situation 1, two are on situation 2 and 1 has finished. For each one they don't get, that is 1 pole for the group (I'm trying to come up with other forms of "punishment"). They not only have to work hard for themselves, but there are 3 other guys they are working for too. I want them to feel the pressure and make BP as game like as possible.

Oh and if a player finishes all 3, they get to chose a situation in which to add "bonus" points to help their teammates.

I know this was a ramble, and I hope it makes some sense. Smile