Skip to main content

Reply to "Update on your player?"

CoachB25,

I remember that you said you had observed my son, Tim Melville from across the river many years ago. He is still living the dream.

The last two years have been most interesting. He began 2019 with the independent Long Island Ducks. After two strong starts, his contract was purchased by the Rockies and he was assigned to Albuquerque. In August he was called up and remained for the rest of the season. He was re-signed for 2020 on a minor league contract and an invitation to Spring Training.

While working up for the 2020 season, he noticed some rib pain and was diagnosed with a rib fracture. That limited his ST to essentially being a roving assistant. We were together the night the TVs were broadcasting that Covid had struck the NBA. The next day things began to shut down. The only good thing was that we had lots more time together than I planned for the week.

Eventually he was released to find other opportunities and he landed in Taiwan in the middle of the summer. He was one of three 'foreign' players to join the team in the second half of the season. The foreigners lifted the team and they won the Taiwan Series championship. Almost imediately afterwards, the 7-Eleven Uni-President Lions began negotiations with all 3 foreigners Brock Dykxhoorn, Teddy Stankiewicz, and Tim to return for the 2021 season.

He is awaiting work permits and another two week isolation upon arrival before he can rejoin the team. He is excited and so am I. Fortunately, most of their games are streamed live, many with English commentary by knowledgeable announcers. I would probably go for a game or two if I didn't have to do the two weeks in covid jail.

Last edited by TMM_Dad