Skip to main content

Reply to "Ups/Downs of the Minor League"

@Ripken Fan I laughed out loud at the first at bat comment! Me too. The rest of the game is so much easier if I know he will at least be 1 for something.

I also completely agree with @fenwaysouth about doing your first job with 5000 people watching. Can you imagine? Especially a job where you are supposed to fail most of the time??!! I mentioned this before but my kid went through a horrible slump last spring heading into the draft. At the beginning there were a lot of horrible calls (verified by video) but then he completely lost his confidence in the strike zone in front of 30-50 scouts every game. It was so painful. He's a quiet guy. Holds everything in. Some teams appreciated that about him. Some thought he didn't care. He got ripped to shreds by Keith Law...like to the point where it was lazy BS reporting. The accusations he made could have been easily refuted by one call to any of his coaches who knew how hard he works, how baseball was always his first love (Law inaccurately reported that he had to be talked out of playing basketball his senior year where nothing could be further from the truth--he never considered playing baseball his senior year)...all this to say, the attention was brutal for just a high school kid. It's cray to think how much harder it gets...and I know this is true as you make your way up the minors but also true with college if you have a vested fan base.

All this to say, keeping them focused on what they can control, reminding them that they are not the sum of their pitches or hits or plays in the field, and taking their mental health seriously has to also be part of the conversation at any level.