Skip to main content

Reply to "Ups/Downs of the Minor League"

https://community.hsbaseballwe...47#71415507270770347

@2022NYC there were quite a few young guys in this years draft. Some are adjusting well and some of them are really struggling. This is one of those cases where there is no one answer that works for everyone. You really have to analyze the maturity (both mental and physical) of the kid. Physically because they are playing AGAINST grown a$$ men. This week my 18 year old was rotating between CF and RF with a 31 year old with 60+ games in the big leagues who is on rehab assignment. He also faced a 6'7" 27 year old pitcher...and that was just through Tuesday and in the lowest level of the minors. So it's not how they stack up physically against their peers. It's how do they stack up physically against players 4, 6...13 years older? Mentally, it's because they are playing WITH grown men. My son's response when I asked him how the guys in the dugout were...he said "They're old." LOL Even the redshirt senior from Arkansas is 6 years older than him and my son is an older 18 year old. His roommate is a very young 18 and they are glad to have each other.  They keep to themselves, practice, play and play video games. How does your kid handle peer pressure? What is his internal motivation? How is he about choosing his circle of friends? If he's not successful initially or for periods, how is he going to handle that?

Each family has to make the best decision they can. But I encourage your friend to look at some of the games in the Arizona or Florida Complex leagues (you can watch live or look at box scores). Click on some of the players and read their bios. Read the book "Where Nobody Knows Your Name." Consider the social benefits of college. Evaluate the remuneration. So far we feel as though my son made the right decision but in his favor were: 1)  he already lived away from home for 1.5 years; 2) physically his pretty advanced; 3) his money was what we considered life-changing; 3) he's got a good support network both there (as a kid he actually played with and is friends with the other HS pick for his team and they room together) and home; and 4) he walks to the beat of his own drummer and it not easily influenced.

I think if your friends is going the international route it is a bit different as they go through the DSL before the ACL or FCL so he would be surrounded by younger players who are in more of a similar situation for a least a year. DSL box scores and game threads are also available online where you can look up players and see their journey.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by PTWood