Skip to main content

Reply to "Ups/Downs of the Minor League"

@Dominik85 posted:

Anyone currently has or had a kid playing under those new rules like robo ump or the stolen base rules? How did They like them?

My son (an elite runner) played in a "new stolen base" rules level to start the year. He felt it made things easier as he usually draws throws when he reaches first. He also saw that more runners (who usually didn't run) would try. While I saw more stolen bases, there were also some CS and more pickoffs than usual (from pitchers or 2-3 backpick putout for those taking too aggressive of secondary leads).  For RipkenFanSon, his current level doesn't have the new stolen base rule and his % is about the same.

As for robo umps, though not playing in a robo ump league, my son (and my wife and I) have gone a full 360 from against to FOR. Son gets print outs of ABs which show pitches called strikes in strike zone, outside the strikezone (not a strike but 25% may call it one) and "outside  the outside the strike zone" (not a strike, but may be called < 10% of the time). He has had several punchouts in the last grouping. These seem to be as a result of where the umpire sets up, son's height, and catchers pulling ball into the strike zone.

Dominik85: You didn't asked, but there's another category I would like to see: instant replay. Recently I attended a game where 5,200 set of eyes in the stands saw a stolen base attempt one way, while one pair of eyes (which counted) saw it another way...CS was call. Instant replay showed the play wasn't even close!