Skip to main content

Reply to "Ups/Downs of the Minor League"

@keewart posted:

What I have found the most frustrating is trying to go see him play live baseball.   If flights are involved, the only time you KNOW FOR SURE where they are going to be is 1) right after spring training for their assignment, or 2) where they will be right after an injury, or 3) right when they are moved up (or down).  Any day other than those they could be up, down, traded, or out.  The Arizonal Fall League was the exception.

Therefore, we don't do airbnbs or VRBO.  Hotels are easily cancellable.

We were streaming a game on TV and my DH was watching on his phone, which was a few seconds ahead.  All of a sudden I hear him groan "oh no!" and my heart sank.  I then watched in horror my child have an on-field injury. The announcers were getting it all wrong and I knew what had happened.  I went outside to walk the dog in the pouring rain and tried to cry, thinking "is this the end?  No, it can't be.  This is NOT the end.".  It was so frustrating and I was texting son to give his phone to anyone that could communicate with us to exactly what was going on and what would be the next step.

^^^^After all that and then Covid delay, watching him and his teammates and friends go up, down, traded, or out....his BA  going below the Mendoza line and back.....I just keep taking my blood pressure meds and enjoy the ride.  We try to go see him play once a month, because "you never know which game will be his last".

Would love others to share!

This post has some positive and negative feelings for me.

First, traveling to see my son's games are almost always easy to plan. (Almost - see below) My son is just about exclusively a starting pitcher. I know that unless there is a rain delay I can reliably book a flight and watch him at work. I believe that there is a law somewhere that mandates if my son pitches on Father's Day, I must be at that game. That's pretty easy to plan with the typical 5-man rotation. Around the first of June I start looking very closely at the schedule and the weather. I have been fortunate to be there for 2 of the 3 times Tim started on Father's Day. The one I missed was because his new team hadn't figured out where he would fit in the rotation and Providence, RI was just a bit to far to drive with such short notice.

The second part brings me back to reality.

In early May of son's fourth full season, his first at AA, I was able to get home from work early for an afternoon game that was live streamed. A MLBer on rehab pitched the first inning and in the 2nd Tim would continue. After an inning or two he got into a bit of trouble with a couple of runners on and one out. The batter hit a sharp bouncing ball just to the left side of the mound. Instinctively Tim reached out with his bare hand and suddenly realized the pain of visible bones and blood. Not good. The trainer was out in an instant but Tim was already on his way to the dugout and beyond without stopping. Other than the quick exit from the mound and into the backroom, he handled it like a pro.

Eventually my heart restarted and that was when I knew that this whole dream could be over.

At the end of that season he had healed and was selected to play in the Arizona Fall League. I flew out for the first week of games only to learn by the time I arrived that a new pain in Tim's elbow was a concern. In a few weeks, Dr. Lewis Yocum would perform Tommy John surgery. Talk about Ups and Downs.

I am trying to recall how I handled all this. Since it's not my dream that my son is living, I can't feel disappointed. I know he saw it as a setback but it never killed his passion. I am amazed to see his passion and drive that persists.

Bottom line: Injuries are the uncontrollable wild card that makes and takes opportunities. I think once I accepted this fate I was better equipped to sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is life. Baseball life.

Last edited by TMM_Dad