Skip to main content

Reply to "Ups/Downs of the Minor League"

@keewart posted:

I was wondering, when you watch your son on tv, do you keep the volume on or off?  I had to turn it off to see your highlights you posted earlier!

On.

Just as when I have most any game on, I might be on the computer and alert to the change in the announcer's tone and excitement. There are always replays to pick up what I missed. What is a little frustrating is that I know the sound of Tim's name when they speak it, but I have no clue what was said.

This season, all the games are in Mandarin and viewable on the CPBL site with a subscription or on Twitch with random ad interruptions. Last year about 75% of the games were on various sites on Twitter. Many of those games had English speaking announcers. Some of them were very knowledgeable and easy to listen to.

Last year I saw an article about the foreign players and CPBL. It told of the difficulty of translating a foreign name to Mandarin. They find a combination of Mandarin words (or characters?) that mimic the sound of the name. Often times they use some poetic license to approximate a name to make it bold or stronger. I think that's what happen to the name on the back of Tim's uniform. Melville became 猛威爾.  I kind of like how that turned out.

Original TextTraditional
Pīnyīn
English definition Add a new word to the dictionarySimplified
HSK
ferocious / fierce / violent / brave / suddenly / abrupt / (slang) awesome
power / might / prestige
thus / so / like that / you / thou
Last edited by TMM_Dad