Skip to main content

Reply to "USC"

TRhit:

For starters, read the last two posts from HeyBatter very carefully. In particular what he says about how claiming one play made all the difference in a 55 to 19 rout cheapens SC’s victory. I think that’s exactly what you are trying to do. You also find it necessary to qualify SC’s dominance with the statement: “For that one night USC was the best team in the land.” Did you say the same about the previous BCS champions? How about the Super Bowl champions? What would it take to convince you that it was a little more than just one night? Coach May also thinks the fumble was important but he understands that SC was good enough to take advantage of that error and leave no doubt they are the best in the country – yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Even opinions are presumably based on something, so please tell us what you saw in that game that allows you to conclude that Oklahoma would have won without that fumble. What would have been different? Would SC’s receivers have dropped the balls they caught? Would Leinart have missed the same throws he nailed? Would SC’s defensive line have allowed Peterson to run holes through them? Or maybe you think, but for the fumble, Jason White doesn’t throw any interceptions and SC’s runners are shut down.

Everyone talks about the need for teams to prove their superiority on the field, and that’s exactly what SC did. Yet even with a victory this convincing, you think it was a cheap one-nighter.

If I sound irritated it’s because I know how hard the SC coaches and players worked for this goal. And how they prepared with class, and left the trash talking to Oklahoma. And how even after the game they acted with dignity and respect, while Oklahoma coaches and players looked for excuses and refused to acknowledge SC’s supremacy. Given all of that, your flimsy dismissal of SC is an insult. Unless you can show how the evidence left on the field supports your contention that the outcome would have been different without the fumble, I think your posts on this subject are nothing more than transitory drivel.