Skip to main content

Reply to "USC or Texas"

Congratulations to the University of Texas. Class act, class team, amazing effort and Vince Young, what can you say about one of the greatest performances in sports.

As for my Trojans, one heck of a run. Several things I think they did horribly wrong in that game, but noidea. Well, just to get it off my chest and be overly picky Big Grin -

In general, USC came in expecting to win and the 'Horns came in playing to win. SC unfortunately believed its own hype.

Horrible clock management during the game on offense by SC. At least 2 delay penalties. Typical poor 1st half performance. Very poor play calling on offense at various times. Me thinks this game showed how much they miss Norm Chow.

A few specifics:

1st qtr on the 4th down play-they were apparently unaware of how much they actually had to gain. They line up in a no backfield formation. Who didn't know Leinart was going to run the sneak. Bush was in the slot, not even spread out to spread out the UT defense. Worse yet IMO, why not a field goal at this point. Then you're up 10 so UT needs to score twice.

Then the big one-Bush laterals the ball after the huge gain on the swing pass, crossing the Texas 20, his team heading in to go up 14-0. And with no disrespect to the young man he was tossing it to, but he's a walk on with virtually no game experience (can't begin to understand why he was in the game). Bush's play was just that-absolutely bush league, playground, grab a** nonsense, selfish glory all move.

Leinart's intercepted pass at the goal line in the second half had no zip and the receiver never came back to the ball.

4th qtr 4th down play. Who one earth didn't know that was going to White. Meanwhile Bush is on the sideline and bottomline, you are the two time defending national champion, with two Heisman winners on your team and you can't make one yard. pull_hair

Defensively, USC had no plan. the only times they were successful was when they had their "speed" unit, with 3 downlinmen and the Ting brothers in the backfield. Only with that scheme did they slow down Young and force him to give the ball to someone else. But Carroll used that scheme sparingly for whatever reason. His alternative was to have the safety, Darnell Bing, shadow Young every where. Made no real attempt at that and basically just conceded to let Young have his day. May have worked as SC held Texas to 10 points under their average. Trouble was SC flushed about 21 first half points down the toilet. Again, a horrible first half team - have been throughout the Carroll era.

But, again, great run over the past three years, great kids and they'll certainly be back at the forefront next year. Fight on.