Skip to main content

Reply to "UVA and VT early commits?"

As to UVA, I think El Gato just made the most important point. They are at a point where they are getting their pick of the litter of PA/OH/NY/NJ. That is McMullens' territory and he owns it. That area is certainly not the baseball talent pool GA or FL or even VA is, but there are outstanding players there and zero elite college programs. There are a handful of kids from this zone every year who are nationally elite and UVA (and UNC) are always in the mix for them. Its not like UVA is passing on in-state kids to sign players of questionable talent from other parts of the country.

They also usually get the vast majority of Virginia kids who they want and who THEY CAN GET IN SCHOOL. An exception from the 2011 class might be a kid like Jake Cave who Im sure UVA would love to have but who is headed to LSU. I'd venture a guess that Cave's draft prospects had something to do with this as well as UVA tends to stear clear of recruiting kids who are likely to be drafted ultra-high.

VT is doing a heck of a job on the field and I think Redbird hit the nail on the head; it takes some time for that to translate into recruiting success in a state like VA with several quality D1 options for in-state players and plenty of talent to go around.