Skip to main content

Reply to "Va. Pitchers' MPH in Jupiter"

quote:
Actually my main point in posting was to point out how few guys there are this year who really do throw very hard. It seems to be a down year in that regard.

I would tend to agree, but would you happen to have this same information for the 2008 and 2009 classes at the same Jupiter event? It would be interesting to see the comparison.

Sometimes, I wonder if I even understand the definition of a hard thrower. Throwing 90's (even low 90's) in High School fit my definition as a hard thrower... But recently, I saw a post from PG Staff that they consider 94-95 and better as "hard throwing", not low 90's....

The following are a few 2009 Virginia Pitchers with peak velocities the summer after their junior year as rising seniors. I watched most of these pitchers during that time frame and feel comfortable these peak velocities are accurate. Some of the numbers are supported by Perfect Game and I have been told that several have reached velocities an excess of these numbers.

However, I can not attest to their velocities in Jupiter of their senior season as a comparative to the 2010's that you have mentioned.

• Blake Hauser - 93
  • Mike Kent - 91
  • Ethan Carter - 90
  • Tyler Webb (LHP) - 90 (**)
  • Jacob Mayers - 90
  • Kyle Haynes - 90
  • Brock Wilson - 89
  • Cameron Giannini(sp?) - 89
  • Ryan Moriarity(sp) - 89

I'm sure there are plenty more in the 87-88 range and maybe there were more in the 90's?... can't say I have them all....

It seems to me, the class of 2009 was pretty solid and I know the class of 2008 was at least equally as good....

I'm sure you can elaborate more on the class of 2008 Virginia pitchers.

Are the classes of 2008 and 2009 "out of the norm"(?) or are they "the normal standard"?

** This is a Perfect Game reported number. This young man was recovering/rehabbing from TJ during this time frame and pitched in the 86-88 range when I saw him.
  • Last edited by Flying Dutchman