Skip to main content

Reply to "Vaccination Benefit"

@SoCal OG posted:

... as it stands now, elementary schools in all 50 states and DC already require vaccinations for diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis; polio; measles and rubella (49 states and DC also require mumps vaccination); and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccination.  So there is already a precedent for requiring vaccinations...

Huh... sounds like we, as a country, have done some pretty good things with these types of serious illnesses, pandemics, diseases, etc.  Hard to imagine the countless deaths and debilitating illnesses that have been spared since some of these have been put in place.  Add to that the heavy restriction and warnings about smoking which have saved many more millions of lives.  (I only wish, for my parents and grandparents sake, the smoking part would have happened sooner.)

There have certainly been mis-steps and I will often be quick to point out what I believe to be over-steps along the way.  But, historically, government actions in times of significant medical and safety emergencies/catastrophes has often been very effective and beneficial overall.