Skip to main content

Reply to "Value of different PG events"

Gov posted:
free=good posted:

Would like opinions on the value of the different PG events.  My 2019 is scheduled to play several PG events this summer (listed below) but I'm wondering how valuable these events are in terms of exposure.  Is he better off doing a showcase or will these events generate interest in him from coaches?  Generally speaking he wants to play his college ball in the state of Texas so playing at Tx State, U of Houston, TCU and Sam Houston (plus a non-PG Baylor event) seems to make sense to me but are these events really bringing coaches and scouts out?  Are the same coaches going  to be at these events or is it going to be a different group of coaches at each?  I would assume he needs to reach out to the coaches prior to the event to express interest in these programs, right?  What else?

2016 PGBA 16U Texas State & Texas Lutheran

2016 PGBA 16U Sam Houston State Challenge

2016 PGBA 16U Houston College Classic

2016 PGBA 16U DFW College Classic

Thanks!

Independent of the specific PG showcases you mention, can you describe your player?  Position, size, any pitching velocities measured?

It would be easier for our members to chime in... Thanks.

Thanks for the replies so far...keep em coming!

My son is 6'1" 165lbs, plays SS primarily.  He pitches as well but the last time he was clocked was last summer at the PG 14U BCS in Ft Myers (he was all-tournament team the last 2 years) where his FB was 79mph.  His coaches are saying he's sitting 84-85 now but with no radar to back it up who knows.  60yd was 6.9-7.0 range as of 6 months ago and he's done some speed work since then so I'm confident he's no worse than a consistent 6.9, probably a tick quicker.  He also plays QB (and the football coaches love him) but he doesn't love football like he loves baseball.  Good student, A's and B's, but realistically probably not a Stanford type or academic scholarship candidate.  Hope it helps...let me know if you need more or have questions.