Skip to main content

Reply to "Vanderbilt Recruiting"

If you look up the history of our younger son you will find that he played on a very elite travel team.  You will also find that he pitched twice in a regional showcase, run by that travel team.

But he was recruited (I'd say) 50% based on his HS coach and team, 25% based on his travel team and 25% based on being related to his older brother.  0% based on showcases - he never got a sniff after those two events.

Many...many college coaches saw him play at HS games in a manner described by infielddad.  Nearly all talked to his HS coach a lot (respected coach).

I did not send him to bigger showcases (including ignoring an Area Code invite) because I did not think a 5-10/86mph RHP would "show" well in that setting.  It might have cast doubt when performing right next to 6-2/92mph guys for 2-3 innings.

You see, in my view, to wanna recruit him you had to spend a little time.  A little time watching him.  Figuring him out.  Talking to those who saw him every day and deciding to trust them.  A few schools did just that, some others had doubts...some very close who had recruited his older brother.

Its all ok - he got to 1 of 3 schools he wanted to get too and its 1,000 miles away from us.  And he's having the time of his life there.

He woulda showed up on PG's list as a 'travel ball/showcase' player had his team made it to Omaha this year.  But it didn't have much to do with his recruitment.  The reality is, he wasn't the same as most of the guys you think of when you think travel/showcase players.  To me, it woulda been a fallacy to believe he was.  I believe he woulda been recruited by the same schools (more or less) with no showcases and no travel ball beyond 200 mile radius of our home. 

Last edited by justbaseball