Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity Coach Resenting Showcase Coach"

quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
Our head coach used to give the JV coach a line up....he did what all good coaches do...he ignored it and played who he felt were the best 9. The head coach was so busy he never even knew.

I don't think a blanket answer of ignore it is the best solution. It might have been best for your situation but not always. The purpose of JV is to develop and learn - not win. Winning at the JV level doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you are playing kids out of position just because they were the best. I've seen numerous times the so called stud put at a position he was never going to play in varsity all because it helped the JV team win. But how did it help the kid when he moved to varsity.

I've also seen that kid who many thought would never amount to anything as a player become a good varsity (sometimes great) player because nobody put a better athlete over them. Let kids play at the JV level to learn and develop to help the varsity in the future. After sometime you will know if they are cut out for the job or not. If not then start moving kids around but JV is not about winning.

It's easy to say "put your best 9 out there" but if you are doing your job at the JV level you will develop your best 9 without having to move so many people around to fill holes. But if you are constantly moving kids around at the JV level just so you can win games you are killing the development of any depth because you are focusing on just a few kids with a bunch being left behind.

You probably didn't mean what you put the way I took it but stuff like this does irk me. I've had to have a few "discussions" with JV coaches who were more worried about winning than developing. If you develop the talent then winning usually takes care of itself.