Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity Coach Resenting Showcase Coach"

That look comes from never being in a posistion in their life where winning was not the #1 priority. And in many cases if their son was the best SS then he played SS. Now they are in a situation where there son is a soph and the starting SS on varsity is a Jr and better. Their son needs to be prepared to play 2B or CF for example the next season on varsity and needs to learn a posistion that will help the varsity field the strongest team possible. They only see the JV and not the big picture.

There are many other scenarios I could post but I think that gets to the point. I do not concern myself with the parents being happy or knowing every possible scenario or reason for everything we do. I do talk to the players and explain to them why we do what we do and why we need them to do what we need them to do.

They could sit behind that SS or they could play everyday at 2B or CF etc. But I would be hurting the team if I dont prepare all the players for the role that will make us the best we can be. And at the same time there is no reason you can not still get work in at many posisitions and innings at different posistions as well. And I never bury a kid because as a fresh or soph he does not have a clear role on the JV or clear role in the future on the varsity. Many times I have seen kids who were not even in the picture at these ages turn out to be some of my best players as Jr' and Sr's.

So there is no way I am going to let a parent or parents coach my team or pressure me into doing something I dont feel is right for the player , players or the program. Coaches who do this are really allowing the parents to coach the team. And they have no business coaching at the hs level.

Parents are concerned with their child and they should be. Coaches are concerned with their players and program and they should be.