Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

rynoattack posted:
ironhorse posted:

We have too many seniors this year, but I've only cut 2 so far. They have till scrimmages end for the "final" cut. I likely won't cut anymore, though simply by talent I probably should.

To me the key to pulling it off is two-fold: solid communication of what their role will be and the ability to cut them mid-season if grumbling begins.

I plan on telling 3 kids that they will likely never cross the lines. They'll get a jersey during the season, but will likely give it up for the playoffs (they'll wear a BP top) so I can give it to a callup kid who might play. They are expected to be at every practice and workout and find a way to make a positive contribution on a regular basis. If they can't handle all of that they need to turn in their stuff.

These are good kids who have been with us for 4-years, they're good friends with the team and want to see their friends succeed, so I think we can pull it off.

I've been down the grumpy senior road in the past, and it can kill a team, but I may not have communicated as thoroughly as I am now. 

If negativity begins to creep in, kids will be removed. No hesitation. And I'm getting much better at cutting kids their Junior year to avoid this circus.

I've always had a hard time understanding how a HS kid at the bottom of the roster would never receive playing time.  Aren't there usually a few blow out games either way where you could throw the kid a bone?  

To me, if the kid works hard and has a positive attitude, they should be rewarded in these types of situations.

Completely agree with the sentiment. A couple of our Seniors are PO kids who can't throw strikes, and flat can't hit. So even in a blowout it's tough. Kid threw 25 pitches tonight and 23 balls. Was progressing in the fall but regressing now. So what do you do? He's a good kid so I lean to keeping him around, but to each his own.