Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

CaCO3Girl posted:

I think it is you guys that are missing the point of high school baseball.

You have to be qualified to make the team.  Sophomores on varsity are rare.  At my kids school if you are a 10th grader throwing 80 you don't even get a sniff at varsity.  It's competitive and it's high school appropriate.  

You people complain about the parents and yet you are trying to turn every high school player into a college stud.  It's a GAME!  What's the percentage of kids moving on and playing past high school, oh yeah, slim and none and you would rob a senior of some innings here and there in favor of the best 9?  It's you guys that have a twisted view of what high school baseball should be.

Yeah, I'm well aware that there are other people besides you that view HS baseball (and other HS sports) as activities - just like going bowling or going to the movies.  And to some extent that's fine.  But you (and like-minded people) should not get the "HS baseball experience" you want at the expense of a more talented younger player that has aspirations beyond HS. Above all, what HS baseball players should be learning is how to compete. This is true regardless of level of ability. When the element of competition is removed from HS sports it diminishes the ability of the participants to learn life lessons as a result of the experience. There is nothing twisted about any of that.