Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

cabbage1 posted:

GCL Cincinnati  3 of the top 10 Schools in the State last year

And yes most of them have 2 way players

Moeller -       147/169 IP by Top 6,   590/670 AB  Top 11

LaSalle -        164.0/170 IP by Top 6,  507/661 AB  Top 11

St. Xavier-      174.1 / 187 IP by Top 6,   684/742 AB Top 11

If you had a Roster of 22   At best 15 Players Scramble for 30.2 IP and 172  More than likely 24 Scrambling for the scraps.   To get at best 12 AB's and 2 IP's or at worst 6 AB and 1 Inning.

These teams have the deepest rosters in the state.    Last year it was wet and not all the games were played and they had some shortened games.

Cabbage1, I don't necessarily disagree with your argument that 15 is a good number.  In fact, that is usually where we land.  However, I know coaches who run with more for a variety of reasons completely different than pandering to the parents and they and their players are very successful.

I don't completely follow your math in your statement after the stats.  But there are certainly some scenarios where, for example, a #7 underclass P on a good senior laden V team getting 10-15 IP against V opponents, daily practice work and regular intersquad with the V squad and V coaches and regular instruction from the V pitching coach could certainly be more advantageous than getting 30-50 innings against relatively inferior JV opposition and working out regularly with relatively inferior players.  Same could be said for a #12,13 position player getting just 15-20 AB's in V games.   BTW, keep in mind that JV/frosh needs to be slanted toward development so, IMO, there is no way a P should get 60+ IP.  It should be spread out among several P's that show potential and need to be developed.

Another factor - it is near impossible to get through a HS season with the same players healthy, eligible and engaged as where you started in the winter.  this winter, we were running V at 16 with a plan to start the season at 15.  The number unexpectedly stayed at 16 for a very long time.  With a heavy JV roster, I thought this was going to backfire on me as I also wanted to be able to rotate some JV with us occasionally.  Rosters were posted.  Then, in a very short window, we lost four guys.  Three permanently, one temporarily.  It will take a while to get a few of the JV replacements up to speed fully and comfortable with the way V is run and the level of competition differences.  Had I kept a larger V roster to account for the inevitable attrition, the team would be in better shape to absorb these losses.

Last edited by cabbagedad