Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

CoachB25 posted:
cabbage1 posted:

Easy Now,

Lets play nice in the sand box.   Can anyone properly defend a high school Roster over 15 or 16 players based upon opportunity for the kids to get time on the field

My comments have been that in most lineups the top 11 players get AB/PA's and about 6 get IP's.  In many high schools the top 2 or 3 position players also pitch.   So I believe a Roster of 14-16 players. 

With the exception of a few states,  most states including FL and CA play about 30 Games per year.  Alabama, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia and Michigan being exceptions.  Go to Max preps and look at the records of teams by states  and you will see high school baseball is a short season.

I had a varsity roster of 18 with 2 or 3 who went between varsity and JV so I can't justify keeping 20+.  

I forget who made the comment about players making the team and knowing their role but your anger is misplaced.  I just made cuts and had to cut a senior who played last year.  She was willing to do anything to be on the team.  There were several reason but not the least of which was that it was her senior year and she wanted to do anything just to be on the team including knowing she would never get into a game.  I had a long talk with this player about a 34 game schedule before the playoff run.  3 months of drudgery as this player would never play.  I think that we have 4 freshmen better as we have one of the best freshmen classes in our school's history.  (Yesterday in practice, these 4 were taking balls off of the fence like they were seasoned veteran at the plate.  None got one out but they hit the fence a lot.  Anyway, this player begged to stay.  So, given the statement about someone knowing their role and it being indefensible, do you cut this player?  

What's the downside of keeping her. A lot of life is "want to."  Give me an employee who wants to be there and I can find a productive role for that person.