Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

Originally Posted by Truman:
Originally Posted by roothog66:
Originally Posted by Truman:
Originally Posted by bacdorslider:

Velo is king... work on velo..... now one wants a 80 RHP with great location...

Tell that to someone like Sergio Romo.  

Not sure what you're getting at here. Romo's fastball sits 87-89.

I'd say that range is high for where Romo "sits".   The main thing I was getting at is that if one does not have a 90+ fastball doesn't mean they can't be a great pitcher and one of interest.  Whatever the velocity, a pitcher needs to be able to pitch with command and be able to do it with more than just one pitch.

I get your point, but Romo's average fastball this season has been 88.4mph. His top FB was 95.2mph. The quote was that "no one wants a 80 RHP with great location." Certainly a pitcher with lower velocity can have success. However, some of this has to do with what gets you the opportunity in the first place. That's velocity much more than control. Also, the definition of high velocity somehow got defined as 90mph. I don't believe that to be true. Once you get outside of the Fri-Sunday High D1 starters in college, you'll find 90+ guys not nearly as easy to find as many would believe. So, when it comes to scouting/recruiting, a lot depends on the level you're talking about. I've seen many pitchers at low D1 and below schools throwing low 80's. Very few will get recruited to high level D1 programs throwing 80-83, but some will get a look at 85+ with the hopes that they will develop into something. You'll also see top D1's get excited about that high school sop throwing 85, but not so excited about that RHP senior throwing 85.

As for pro scouts, forget it if you're throwing under 90 even with outstanding stuff and great control.

Last edited by roothog66