Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by SultanofSwat:

Originally Posted by younggun:
If you don't think velocity is KING, I just heard the announcers during the Cardinals and Nationals game refer to the Cardinals pitcher, Lyons, as a soft throwing lefty. Lyons is sitting 90-91����.

And he can probably max at 95, and would show in PG as a 95.  So, Dads out there beware that you're not going to be in the bigs throwing 90 max. (I know, I know you heard of some guy somewhere that threw 88... whatever, good luck)

Is there someone on this thread who indicated they thought their son could pitch mlb topping at 90?  Don't think so.

You can definitely pitch in the majors topping out at 90mph. The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to first get to professional baseball unless you can at least sit at that velocity. Once the door is open, your performance will get you through the ranks. However, a guy sitting high eighties and occasionally hitting 90+ won't be shown the same patience that they show the guy sitting 94. Greg Maddux certainly was able to make a career throwing "soft." However, he got the opportunity because he could throw 94 out of high school.