Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

Originally Posted by 2017LHPscrewball:

c2019 - very interesting comment, but surely you have some "rules" that go along with that.  For instance, at what age do you switch and start learning how to pitch?  I could say just the opposite - learn how to pitch and then work on velocity.  I'm thinking about the little guys, maybe 10-12 yo.  Not real sure how these kids work on velocity when they have the immature body of a 10 yo.  When my 2017 was 10, he was good because he could throw it across the plate with decent velocity (not great, but made the batter swing or get called out on strikes).  Around 12 he realized he could intentionally throw outside the strike zone and still get batters out (still had only decent velocity).  He just turned 16 and is still growing and does not have the mass to throw hard for 60-80 pitches (he can occasionally fire it up these days) but I still feel velocity is coming over the next 24 months - and hopefully a similar number of pounds.  I'd argue that once you really fill out and have everything in place to max out velocity, it may be too late to learn how to pitch.  Is there some happy medium?

2017LHP ,

all I can say is what has work for my 2019, I always told him to throw as hard as you can , but at the same time , his arm mechanics were flawless, and I always watched it, cause its easy to fall off an pick up some sidearm, that  cant stand, I showed him over the top always, most coaches didn't like over the top when he was playing SS ,but his velo made them shut up, and when he threw a running out at 1st base from center field at age 10 , its was a sign to me that what we were doing was right, listen, everyone has their own ways, and I really never listen to anyone ,cause I would look at their kids and I wasn't impressed, maybe its me but that's the way I feel, you have to have  a Vision just like JERRY FORD (PG) , and trust me I've coach tons of boys and girls  that had the tools but never really wanted to work hard, my kid works harder than all the Sr at his High school , but again , he wants to do it,

I never let my son pitch until now , and everyone wanted him to pitch , just like they wanted him to play Football, but I didn't let that happen, when kids are young and a coach knows you can pitch ,they will abuse your kids arm, cause he can throw strikes,

for me I could care less if he threw a strike ,I wanted him to hit the back stop (blow it up is our motto), I only let him pitch as a closer,

he would walk 3, hit 2 batters, and strike out the side.

to me velo is king , the next level coaches want to see velo arm and bat exit velo.

most might not agree with me ,but my proof is in the pudding, numbers don't lie!