Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

Originally Posted by 2017LHPscrewball:

2B/P 2019 - I'm not quite sure I would have suggested throwing 63 as a 14 yo, but this is interesting.  You mentioned he has improved his velocity - can you add some color around how much faster he is throwing and how he made the adjustment?  At 63, I have to believe he already had some in reserve and picking up maybe 10 mph would seem like it would drastically change the arc of his fastball (much less drop from gravity).  Assuming 63 was fastball, would love to have seen his off speed stuff.

At the start of the Spring/14U-Summer/15U he was consistently throwing 63, he was hold back. He could hit 67 if he tried. After his tryout in the summer he decided to throw every pitch at max velocity for the remainder of the summer and fall season. I could see an increase in speeds over the season. He has always thrown long toss, but he took it a little more serious and more often. This fall he tried out for one of the better teams in our area throwing at 74. Curve-ball at 60 and Change-up at 63. His accuracy has gone down a bit and he can still dial it down a bit to throw a strike. Since he has the velocity to get out of jams his strikeouts have gone up and runs scored has gone down. Does throw more pitches per game. During the summer he averaged 12 pitches per inning and now is up to 15-16.