Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

I don't disagree that 86 will get your foot in the door at a mid to lower D1 assuming you can pitch.  Also, when you are touching 86, you need to be sitting not too far below that figure - say 83-84 and not 80-81.  Most of these "top" speeds are probably getting measured the summer as a rising senior so there is still a good 12 months before the kid would set foot on campus and maybe 30 months before a kid would be expected to step up as a starter (spring of sophomore season).  My take is that 90 is great (sitting 90 is better), but you don't  have to hit that magic number to get to "D1" or any other classification.  At some level, you might be able to have 90 as a requirement, but I doubt even SEC baseball requires 90 for every pitcher that makes the roster (although I'm confident that 80%+ are throwing 90+ mph).  Seems much discussion on this board starts to migrate to the level where you can secure a 50% scholarship to a top 50 program and not the 25% scholarship (the minimum) to a top 300 D1 program (actually I think it is 301 total D1 programs).