Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

Ok, update...  Just looked at our only D1 in wisconsin, UWM.  12 RHP (left lefties out to avoid crafty lefty conversation) on the roster.  Four had no profiles at all they were 6-2, 6-4 and two at 6-5.  Their tallest pitchers!!  Taking a flyer on projectability?  That's my guess.  If you are 6-5 and throwing 88 in high school you showcase.  Lets be reasonable and agree that at least three of those four were mid 80's possibly below.  The other 8 were 6-0, 6-1, 6-2 (4), 6-3 and 6-4.  Velocities: 90, 89 (3), 88, 87, 86 (2).  UWM if you look them up has recently been almost smack dab middle of the pack D1.  So they have only one rostered pitcher who touched 90 as a high school senior.  One.  Counting the no profile kids I am just going to say 6 at 86 and below.  Zero ABOVE 90.  Imagine the bottom 25 of D1...  Fact of the matter is some people for some mysterious reason want to keep perpetuating this myth that you have to be 90+ to even get on a roster.  Or you better be 'special'.  That's not true either.  You have to be good, not special.  And more important someone who will not cause problems academically or as a teammate.  Those are the kids they take flyers on: big, good academically and a great teammate.  I don't want to start the size debate again but as you can see size does matter at least in the eyes of the coaches.  They ain't taking flyers on the 5'10 kid throwing 84.  But as we can see there are four big kids on the roster who have no profiles and presumably are projects.