Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

to answer an earlier question...

An offer in our world involves a scholarship of some type.  But it could be a preferred walk on offer as well. I keep hearing about these guaranteed roster spots but don't really consider that an offer.  They are often used by colleges that are extremely expensive and that aren't very competitive. Getting a good student that can pay for college is more important than getting a good player at some colleges.

If we watched 20 mid 80s pitchers, there would always be a couple that really stood out.  It could be because of size, body type, and projection, but not always.  Sometimes a pitcher will just have the ability to locate with movement.  Sometimes the breaking ball and changeup are way ahead of the other mid 80s guys.  I always favor the quick arm guys over the better leverage stronger but slower arm guys. and yes, Trackman stats are becoming more important every year. Sometimes you see a fixable mechanical flaw that if corrected could lead to much more velocity. You see the demeanor, you see the competitor, you see that no fear look. Truth is, I've seen some mid 80s pitchers I like a lot more than some 90 MPH guys. But in the end your thinking that mid 80s guy is going to gain a lot of velocity.

So we know that all 90 mph pitchers aren't the same.

All 95 mph pitchers aren't the same.

So how do we lump all 80 mph or 85 mph pitchers together,  There can be a world of difference from one to another.