Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity"

tres_arboles posted:
2020Mom posted:

... I have read about the Driveline program where they use weighted balls and have heard differing opinions.  Any experience with any of your kids doing this and if so, at what age?  Other ideas or ways you know pitchers have increased velocity? ...

I am a very strong booster of the Driveline Program. My son was a devoted participant in Kyle's early iterations of the program, beginning his 13U summer when coming back from a "Little League" elbow case. He stayed with it through high school and was an extremely effective pitcher in HS. He was up to 87 off the mound by mid Senior season at (then) 5'7" 160 and surrendered one ER in his last HS season. His bat and speed got him recruited as a CF, but he still uses some of the Driveline concepts and is a +arm in the OF.

That said, and in answering your second question: the single best thing a developing HS-aged player can do for any aspect of their athletic performance, including throwing velocity, is lift heavy, correctly, under authentic supervision. Heavy is self explanatory. But lifting correctly while receiving real guidance on form, movement, and progression cannot be had just anywhere or from anyone selling memberships at the local big box gym. Add the benefits of a fully-researched, iterative throwing program and the results are synergistic.

I put up 895lbs in the big 3 lifts.  Let's just say I never got anywhere close to mid 80s.  My friends could barely curl 20lbs yet touched mid 80s.  Go figure.