Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity for age 10"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
Like I said many times- What I have taught my son about pounding the strike zone with decent velocity works. Is that bad advice? Is that not what every professional ball cliub teaches? Hello?

You are right, that is what they teach, but it's not all about pitching at that level as hard as you can, but throwing strikes. Of course it's about decent velocity, but not pitching your hardest throughout a game. BTW, your son is 14, not at the professional level, keep it to what 14 year olds should be doing, not older men and don't compare the two. There is a method to all of this madness, the whole idea is to keep things age specific. Not do as a young child what professional men do, don't you get that?

Also, next year get yourself out of Idaho and do some serious travel ball in the country, get a look at some of the players your son will be in competition in HS for recruiting and scouting, play up as well. A player can be dominate in his age group, but as you move up that diminishes greatly.

Over the past year, you have stated that your son did well, pitching from different arm angles (not now), he gets his strength and conditioning from throwing hard off of the mound (no long toss) and even went home after a game and threw against a wall to keep his arm in shape (not good after the cool down). Each and every time you have been called out. It's ok what you wish to do with your son, but leave the advice off the board.

I don't think that anyone is saying your son isn't talented, all they are trying to say is be careful.
Last edited by TPM