Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity for age 10"

I never knew what my son threw until he was around 13. I was the pitching coach for his travel teams and somewhere around that time I bought a jugs gun. I used it for tryouts to see what kids were throwing and the velocity difference between FB's and off speed pitches. Once the season started, I used it mid way through the season and at the end of the season to see if there was any progress.

When my son started pitching at 8 through when he was 12, I never knew how hard he threw. The only time I really wondered about it was watching the LLWS. We would sit there and speculate if he threw as hard as those kids did. What we really worked on was him hitting his spots, his mechanics and a change up. He was very effective at that age, without ever knowing how hard he threw.

To be honest with you, even now, at 16, my son is not obsessed with it. He is in the WWBA events at East Cobb. I keep telling him to throw a few hard to post a higher velocity. After the game, I will ask him if he did that and he will tell me no. He just wants to make sure he makes his pitches and is effective during his outings. So far this summer he has been.

I'm not sure everyone is as obsessed as you are GBM.