Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity for age 10"

quote:

Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:

I don't know of any pitcher that has pitched at least 1-2 seasons, and were good, that didn't have an idea or knowledge of what velocity their arm was capable of. Just as a sprinter knows his time, a pitcher should also know his time. Just ask any young baseball player if they have ever thrown in front of a gun either in a game, at a carnival, at a professional ballpark, etc, and they will just about for sure tell you they have.

Yes, for maybe 16yr olds and up. But not any 10yr olds...LOL.

Havene't you ever been to a little league game and overheard the young kids bragging about how fast so and so is or how fast they are?

I can honestly answer no to this without hesitation.

Kids are actually more obsessed than parents- its bragging rights for them.

So you're telling me that a bunch of 10yr olds are behind the backstop wondering how fast little Billy is pitching AND wishing they threw that hard? That's a riot! LOL. If you went up and just listened, they are probably talking about how big of a bullfrog they caught or if they watched the latest episode of Power Rangers. LOL

You may think I have this undue obsession with my sons velocity. Guess what? I don't even own a gun.

You don't need a gun to put the amount of stress you probably are on your son. I can guarantee that he knows when he picks up his mitt and a ball that Dad is going to focus on that velocity. Now I'm talking about a boy who is 10 in these situations, not 14 and older. But even at 14 velocity should only be 1 of many things that should be focused on.

The way it has always worked and will continue to work is that the hard throwers will always get the 1st nod on the mound- that is how important velocity is. And someone will always know or want to know "how fast" a pitcher throws.

Sometimes I wonder if you say things just because they pop in your head or what. Where on earth do you get this philosophy from? Not everyone believe it or not is as obsessed about velocity as you so no, it will NOT always get the nod first. And just because a kid throws hard will someone want to know HOW fast he is pitching. Yes they will make an observation that he throws hard but not enough to find out.

I have documented how my son has progressed since he was 10 both on mechanics and velocity. And from a little research on the web, so has pretty much everyone else. So I guess we are all a little obsessed with velocity.

GBM, do you honestly believe that we're going to sit here and believe that you have actually documented your son's pitching velocity AND mechanics since he was 10? You can make a point without having to go over the top with it. And what kind of research on the web gives you the actual fact that everyone else has done it? No my friend, only you from what I can tell is as obsessed with this velocity topic this badly. And I do mean, badly. It's off the charts

I will tell you this much- they do gun every pitch at the LLWS. Now why would they do that if everyone in the country wasn't at least partially interested in how fast they were throwing?

I watch the LLWS each year and realize they do time the kids. But I'm sure it's because it's on National TV for the most part. I don't care how hard a 12yr old is throwing. I can tell he is throwing hard if he pitches and the batters whiff at it. I'm more impressed of the command and consistency than anything else. I bet you'd go bonkers if they didn't have the velocities popping up on TV during the LLWS each year..lol.