Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity, God given? Or can it be drastically improved?"

Topic near and dear to my heart as my son is a 2017 catcher. Looking at D2s and D3s given his size (5'10" 170lbs). Personally, I think hand-measured pop-times can easily help--or hinder--a given throw by as much as 0.2 seconds. So a kid throwing 2.05 consistently can get an artifact 2.2 or a 1.9. It all averages out in theory, but at a busy combine the 2.05 can get a 2.1, 2.1, and 2.2. Or get a 1.95, 2.0, 2.0. You can see which is better. My son has done two, 10-week weighted ball regimens to increase his positional velo to 74-75 (tops) and pops to 2.0-2.05 or so. He's worked hard and transfers and footwork are good but I don't think any amount of training is going to get close to an 80 positional or legitimate, non-artifact 1.9 pop-time. That's genetics. But he does run a legitimate sub-7.0 60 (6.95 or so), he's a tremendous defensive catcher, and a very solid LD-hitting lefty hitter so I hope he gets a D2/D3 offer at a school he wants. Might not happen though. Very good grades so big school (bias for a few big Virginia state colleges) and club baseball might be in the cards.