Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity increase"

quote:
Originally posted by Clint Taylor:
Wow! Not so fast young man. Just because the arm is fresh doen't mean it is in shape. Slow down on the pens and do your core excersises, including bands. Get your legs, stomach, and scalps in good condition first. Keep long toss to no more than 90 feet for the 1st couple of weeks - go 30ft, 60ft, 90ft and work backwards to 30ft.(after a rigerous stretching excersise).
Once the core is in shape, then you can slowly progress with the pens and then only at 70% max effort. Velocity at this point could cause much soreness, hamper your progression, and screw up your mechanics.
Work the body first, then the arm.

90 feet? Infielders, catchers and my 8 year old make longer throws. Did I forget to mention outfielders? Follow the Jaeger formula. Make you sure you warm up before you throw. Do arm circles and the Jobe's stretch tube exercises first. I'm borrowing this from Jaeger: Warm up to throw, don't throw to warm up. Long toss is about making nice easy long throws as far as your arm feels good. The work begins when you've reach your comfortable maximum distance and then bring the throws down. Look at Jaeger Long Toss on You Tube to get a better idea.