Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Increase"

Originally Posted by phillyinNJ:

Have some down time from work and figured I would post the velocity increase of 2018 dating back to last August.  Santa brought some Jaeger bands during christmas and he has been on them almost daily...I'm thinking a major contributing factor to his increase is from them...5'11.5, 145 pounds and turns 15 at the end of next month.  Jugs gun was used (the one that shows both peak and ending velocity).

Peak Velocity

Aug 2014 --68MPH

Jan 2015 --69MPH

Jan 23, 2015 --70MPH

Feb 15, 2015 --71MPH

Feb 27, 2015 --72MPH

Mar 14, 2015 --73MPH

Apr 12, 2015 --Pitchers Crow Hop 76MPH; Outfield Crow Hop 78MPH

May 2, 2015 --74MPH

I've seen in the search box that a lot of questions about velo improvement, guestimates when older, etc...Just figured I would start a running record of 2018 and for anyone else who would like to start a historical record jump on in...what's worked to increase...what has not.

I've heard the weighted balls work well, but haven't allowed 2018 to go there yet...figured I would wait a few years.

I've never really tracked 2019Son. He's just been playing baseball. He's worked hard on hitting -- including having a hitting coach the past 18 months. He's always pitched, but never had pitching lessons. He has recently indicated a strong interest in pitching (his words to me a week ago: "Dad, I'd rather throw a complete game than hit a home run"), and is starting a long-toss program (yesterday was the first day) and a Texas-Baseball-Ranch-inspired pitching development program this summer. So I'll start tracking this and will post updates. Here's what I know so far, based on radar readings and the first day of long toss:

Mar. 2013 (age 12 yrs, 2 mo.): 62 mph

April 2014 (age 13 yrs, 3 mo.): 70 mph

May 21, 2015 (age 14 yrs, 4 mo.): 240' long toss

On the 30th I'll get a radar reading at the pitching facility, and once his pitching program starts he'll have them 3x per week.

Maybe he's getting a late start. I buy the whole "If you can't measure it, you can't manage it philosophy," but I wanted him to want to go after it. So the regular measurement is starting now. I'll have more info this summer.