Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Increase"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by Shoveit4Ks:

Puberty, natural ability, fast twitch or slow twitch, the weight room and mechanics all affect velo. I think i would have pulled my hair out if i was worried how fast my son threw before 15. Personally i think its a bit ridiculous since nobody is getting scouted at those ages....at least not scouted seriously and it doesn't matter. I do believe in self improvement, so i like the work....but am a bit concerned about the fascination with velo at the younger age.

Like anything else.  You are climbing a.mountain.  the more mountain you climb early the less you have to climb later. Getting scouted has nothing to do with it.  You are working as part of your journey to be scouted someday.  Its about setting goals or benchmarks and striving to achieve those.  The great players in any sport I know worked hard as kids to excel well beyond the point where they were already better than their competition.  Between my class, the class before me and the class after me we had five college scholarship basketball players (one an ncaa D1 National champ), a guy who played in the NFL and 6 mlb draft choices one who pitched almost 10 years in mlb.  This doesn't count the numerous other guys from my hometown who I played against when I was that age (13).  I know what it looks like at that age.   D1 or professional players don't just drop out of the sky they progress from the youngest ages on up.  You have to start early.  Can't sit back and wait especially in a skill sport like baseball.   And really if we were talking 9 year olds I might agree but 13 is starting to get down the line.  You bet you are being recruited at 15 and we are more and more seeing it at 14.  You can disagree with this practice of course but you can't disagree that it is happening because that is just a stone.cold fact.

You raise some very valid points.

But at 11.5?