Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Increase"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by 2019Dad:

Slight uptick today, FWIW. I told 2019Son to just keep adding 1 mph every 2 weeks and we would continue to feed him.  

In all seriousness, I suspect this is the age when kids tend to add velocity, just due to all of the growing they are doing.

Mar. 2013 (age 12 yrs, 2 mo.): 62 mph

April 2014 (age 13 yrs, 3 mo.): 70 mph

June 2015 (age 14 yrs, 5 mo): 75.1 mph

June 2015 (age 14 yrs, 5 mo.): 76.1 mph

Its amazing how closely my son's progress matches yours!  We will see what next year brings but upper 70's is kind of our goal.  Going to be working very hard with a cressey type workout all off season.  Key is to enter freshman year over 80.

80 entering freshman year is fantastic. 2019Son has two teammates there -- one has hit 81, the other 80 -- and he knows another rising freshman (going to a rival school) who has hit 85 (on a gun at pitching facility -- not "daddy radar"!) There aren't that many of them, though. 80 at 14U is pretty rare.

I think your son's emphasis on building strength will pay off. 2019Son is just starting to do that -- not with weights yet -- and I think that will help. Hey, he just reached 140 lbs, so, like I said, we've agreed to keep feeding him!