Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Increase"

Originally Posted by TPM:

These kids are not even in HS yet, nowhere need puberty.  

That's the difference maker.

Eric Cressy like workouts not even in HS yet, entering freshman year 80? Sorry but I cant even wrap my head around half the stuff posted here.

Your kids are going to reach a plateau, you would most likely want it later than sooner, but that is just my opinion from my experience.

I do understand what you're saying, but, a couple of very close observations I've made over the years. First, 13 is not, as you say, "no where near puberty." For most kids, by 13, they are well into puberty. Second, it would be highly unusual for a 13yo throwing 80 at 13/14 to have plateaeud. A review of most kids throwing 90 or so by their senior year, shows (when the information is available) that they were generally throwing high seventies to eighty by the time they were freshmen. Having said that, my own barely-fifteen-year-old doesn't work with weights at all and I am considering keeping it that way, though it's still an open topic. Entering freshman year throwing 80. Somewhat unusual, but not at all unheard of. In the state of Colorado alone, I can name six or seven kids that entered as freshmen throwing 80. Three of which were my students. I would also say that I can count on one hand the number of pitchers I've ever seen go from 72 or less at 14 to 85+ by the end of their high school years. Most hard throwers at 18 were hard throwers at 12/13 and that even includes the little guys that grew late.