Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Increase"

Originally Posted by TPM:

Roothog,

Don't really agree with some things here, which is my perogative, unless your kids got some rocky mountain high going, 13 years olds may have begun the puberty process but no where near it.

My son left HS with some chin hairs going on, he was touching 91. His biggest years in maturity growth was in college, and he only left with hitting 94, but by 29 he was hitting 96.

What would you suppose was the reason for that?  

I have no issue with teaching kids to throw hard, but bottom line is very few will be throwing 90 or plus their senior year. 

How often do you guys put the gun on your kids?

Believe me, I'm not trying to start some kind of weird argument here, but puberty, as defined by the AMA typically starts for boys at about age 11 and ends by age 17. I'm not saying they don't get bigger and stronger, just defining what puberty is and I certainly don't think you mean to contend that your son was still pubescent from college until he was 29. So, I believe you have a valid point, just nitpicking your use of the term puberty as a basis.

I have my gun on almost every pitch now that he's in high school. In fact, this summer, I'd say every pitch he's thrown has had a radar gun on it by someone other than me as well. It tells me a lot, from rate of fatigue to rate of progress. He's 15.